Tuesday 17 July 2012

Gerry Anderson's walk for Alzheimer's

(If you want to avoid my self-indulgent flapdoodle, the important bit about sponsoring Gerry and his son Jamie is at the bottom.)

Without wanting to get all John-Boy Walton about it, one day from my childhood remains particularly vivid in my mind and still gives me a wave of pleasure whenever I think of it.

One summer day in 1976 or 1977 when I was 8 or 9, my dad, my brother and I took the short train ride from Chorley to Blackpool for a day out (my mum must have been working).

The destination itself was exciting enough: our seaside trips were usually at sedate Morecambe, where I'd be shoved behind the counter of my uncle's seafood stall while he and my dad stole off to the Palatine or the Queens Hotel for a few hours' froth-blowing.

But it wasn't just the glorious sunshine or the brilliant picnic my mum had packed for us that made the trip so memorable.

While strolling along the Golden Mile we stumbled across Gerry Anderson's Space City exhibition, somewhere underneath the Tower.

I can't even begin to describe how much I loved his series, and as I wandered through what seemed to be room after room filled with costumes, props and beautifulmodels, I was in absolute heaven.

Even now, 30-odd years later, the opening bars of a Barry Gray theme tune still get my heart beating a little faster.

Sadly, Gerry Anderson announced recently that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease 18 months ago.

However, together with his son Jamie, he's taking part in a Memory Walk in October to raise funds for the Alzheimer's Society. (Jamie is also doing all three 'marathon' Memory Walks in September)

It's not often you get the opportunity to do something to repay one of your heroes even a little for the pleasure they've given you down the years.

If you've ever enjoyed one of Gerry Anderson's series, please go to Jamie's JustGiving page and make a donation.


No comments: